Masala Chitranna


Hello to all readers. How are you all??? Been a long time since I was here. I miss being here, but I get so occupied with things that somehow I postpone my post. Today I finally decided to post a new recipe which I tried from a cookery show oggarane dabbi. This show is very famous in dakshina kannada district. i do not get it here but I happened to watch it while watching some other recipe in youtube long back. We normally make chitranna/lemon rice, but this is a new version of making lemon rice known as Masala Chitranna.
Here is what we need:
INGREDIENTS:
1 and ½  Cups Rice
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Lemon Juice

FOR SEASONING:
¼ tbsp oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tbsp Chana Dal
½  tbsp Urad Dal
Fist full of Peanuts
2 sprigs of Curry leaves (10-15)
To be Ground into Paste:
4-5 green chillies (depending on the spiciness you need)*
2 tbsp coconut grated/freshly scraped or frozen
¼  (10 to 12 twigs) cup of Coriander leaves
½  tsp Jeera
2” Ginger pieces
2 Cloves Garlic

METHOD:
Wash Rice and with a tsp of oil, cook rice with the right amount of water until done making sure rice doesn’t get sticky.
Remove it from the container and spread it on a large plate or something similar, to cool down, Just seperate it through so it is nice and fluffy. We do not want the rice to get mushy.
For the paste:
Grind everything under the  masala/paste  to be grinded into a smooth paste.
 Take a Large wok or pan heat the oil add mustard seeds, once it splutters add peanuts sauté for a minute then add the dals until they change colour to light golden.
Then add the paste and saute for 2 minutes.
Once that is done, then add the  masala paste and mix well.
Bring the flame to low then add the required quantity of salt and Lemon Juice mix well then add the cooked rice, combine together by mixing gently.

Taste it and adjust salt accordingly allow it to just cook for 2 minutes with a closed lid and in a low flame.

Switch of the stove and mix it once again. Serve it hot and Enjoy .
NOTES:
 I use Sona Masoori, you can use basmati too.

You can use left over rice too if you have some.
** My Green chillies were not very spicy so I added 4 or else here it can never exceed 2 ;).
Till my next post,
Happy Cooking,
  



Comments